Blue Recycling Carts
Need a blue cart?
Request one online or call (208) 446-3302.
Blue Recycling Cart Guidelines
Recycling is included in residential solid waste service. Every household that signs up for service is provided with a 95 - gallon blue recycling cart. Recycling is collected by a separate truck on the same day as garbage. The cart remains the property of Republic Services. To replace a broken or damaged cart, call Republic Services at 446-3302.
Recycling Collection Requirements
The following materials may be recycled, un-sorted, in your blue cart:
- Newspapers: including inserts, magazines, and catalogs.
- Aluminum and Steel (Tin): cans (rinse empty cans - labels are okay - aerosol cans must be empty - pesticide cans are prohibited), pie tins (rinsed), wire hangers (stripped of foam and paper), Aluminum foil.
- Mixed Paper: junk mail, white or pastel ledger, cereal and frozen food boxes, paper bags, envelopes, fax paper, computer paper, brochures, greeting cards and wrapping paper without foil, construction paper.
- Plastics: All household plastics (1 through 7) except for plastic bags, motor oil jugs, and pesticide containers.
- Corrugated cardboard: break boxes down to less than 4'x4' and place under or next to bin.
What items are not accepted?
- Paper plates & cups
- Paper towels
- Milk or juice cartons
- Food-contaminated containers
- Pizza boxes and foil-lined items like cookie and chip bags
- Cardboard milk and juice cartons
- Grass clippings
The City of Boise does not offer curbside collection of glass
Blue Bins for Business
Businesses that do not have a lot of recyclable materials can use a 95 - gallon blue bin. Similar to the residential recycling program, Republic Services provides containers and collects recyclable materials once a week. Separate materials before placing in the bin. Cardboard needs to be flattened and placed next to blue bins. Please do not force cardboard into the bins. It makes it difficult for Republic Service to remove cardboard quickly and efficiently if large pieces of cardboard are stuck inside the bin. If a blue bin does not meet your business recycling needs, check out more options in our business recycling guidelines.
Have more questions about Blue Bins or recycling? See our FAQs.