Garbage Collection Guidelines
Rates and Special Services
Solid waste collection in unincorporated Elmore County is by subscription. Households choosing to sign for garbage service must call the Republic Service office at 345-1265. Customers may use up to three of their own trash containers or rent up to two 95 gallon wheeled carts from Republic Services. Extra trash may be set out for collection but additional charges may apply. Garbage is collected once a week with no limit on the number of cans or you set out.
- Carryout service is available at an additional charge.
- Bills are mailed quarterly.
- Garbage service is unlimited the weeks of Christmas and New Year's.
Call Republic Services at (208) 345-1265 to begin service and to inquire about recycling.
Use the Right Container
Trash must be in a container to keep odors in and animals out. Closed container will prevent tampering by pets, minimize odors, and block rainwater. The following containers are acceptable:
- 95 gallon wheeled carts (equivalent to three trash cans)
- Trash cans with lids
Do not set trash out in loose paper grocery bags, trash bags, or cardboard boxes. Extra charges apply to customers who place more than three trash cans or two wheeled carts of garbage out for collection.
Limit Size and Weight of Containers
Trash containers must be between 20 and 35 gallons and can be no heavier than 60 lbs. Wheeled trash carts (provided by Allied Waste for a nominal monthly charge) hold 95 gallons of waste and can be hold up to 200 lbs.
- Trash and recycling must be set out by 6:00 am.
- Trash containers and recycling bins must be removed from the curb within 24 hours.
- NO hazardous materials such as vehicle batteries, antifreeze, motor oil and paint will be collected curbside. See information included in this website for proper disposal of household hazardous materials.
- Make sure drivers have safe and clear access to containers
- Trash containers must be free from obstructions such as mailboxes, fire hydrants, parked cars, or utility poles (at least three feet of clearance).
- Do not block sidewalks with trash cans, wheeled carts or recycling bins.
- Do not overload containers or pack them so tightly that contents are difficult to remove.
- Place wheeled carts at the curb with lid hinges pointing toward the house.
- Trees and branches must be cut to less than 4' in length, bundled, and placed next to your garbage on your regular collection day.
Bulky Items and Appliances (i.e. furniture and Freon-free appliances)
A special truck and two drivers are needed to collect large or bulky items. Items must be outside and visible to the driver. Freon-free appliances are taken to the transfer station where a local processor picks them up for recycling. Curbside collection ($25 fee) must be scheduled by calling Republic Services at 345-1265.