Frequently Asked Questions
- How do I get a blue recycling bin?
- Request a blue bin here.
- How do I get a gray trash cart?
- Request a gray bin here.
- How do I get a dumpster?
- Request a dumpster here.
- I need to have my dumpster emptied, how do I do that?
- Submit a request to have your dumpster emptied here.
- Which holidays does Republic Service observe for trash and recycling collection?
- Republic Services observes six (6) holidays each year in both Ada and Canyon Counties. During the following holiday weeks, if your usual collection day falls on or after the holiday, collection of trash and recyclables will be delayed by one day:
- New Year's Day
- Memorial Day
- Independence Day
- Labor Day
- Thanksgiving Day
- Christmas Day
In Canyon County, if the holiday falls on a Saturday, there will be no interruption in service. If the holiday falls on a Sunday, collection will be delayed by one day the following week.
- How do I find out what my service day is?
- To determine your service day, call (208) 345-1265.
- Do you take paint, solvents, batteries, and other hazardous materials?
- No. Hazardous materials generated from Ada County households may be properly disposed of, FREE OF CHARGE at the following locations
- EnviroGuard Mobile Collection Site Vehicle
Boise City's EnviroGuard vehicle services six collection sites including Meridian and Eagle every month for residents. Each site is open one day per month from noon to 7:00 p.m. To locate the site nearest you, call 384-3901.
- Ada County Collection Facility
Ada County residents may take household hazardous materials to the collection facility located the Hidden Hollow Landfill off of Seaman's Gulch Road. The facility is open Fridays and Saturdays from 8:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Call 577-4736 for details.
- EnviroGuard Mobile Collection Site Vehicle
- How do I find out if something is a hazardous material?
- Call 384-3901 or 577-4736 or visit the Ada County Hazardous Waste website. Generally, to determine if something is hazardous examine the label for one of the following signal words: "Caution", "Danger", "Poison", "Warning", "Corrosive", "Flammable", "Explosive", "Oxidizer", "Irritant", or "Environmental Hazard".
Acceptable hazardous materials include: solvents, pesticides/herbicides, paint/stain/varnish, batteries, automotive products (including gasoline and oil), yard/garden products, fluorescent light tubes, and much more.
Prohibited materials include: explosives, ammunition, radioactive items, and biomedical waste (i.e. sharps).
- I am a commercial customer and would like to begin recycling service. Who do I contact?
- Allied Waste now offers commercial recycling in all municipalities we serve. Service levels ranging from an 18 gallon blue bin to a 40-yard roll-off box are available. Call (208) 345-1265 to schedule a free waste analysis consultation from an Allied Waste Consultant.
- Do you have residential compost bins?
- Yes, you may obtain a compost bin at a discount through Allied Waste for $59. Call (208) 345-1265 to request a compost bin.
- Where can I drop off my garbage?
- For Boise residents, there are two options. You may haul your garbage to the Ada County Landfill or customers can take their garbage to the Boise Transfer Station, which is conveniently located in southeast Boise near the airport. Take I-84 to Orchard Street and head south. Go right on Diamond street, left on Eagleson Rd, right on Albatros, and left on Curtis Rd. The transfer station is located at 4485 S. Curtis Road. The Transfer Station is open six days a week (8 am - 5 pm), closed Sundays and major holidays. For more information, please call the Transfer Station (208) 362-7564.
- Where do I put my carts and when?
- Please have your carts at the curb by 7 am on your scheduled collection day. Please have the handle facing your house and make sure the cart is 4 feet from the nearest object (e.g. mailboxes, cars, etc.).
- Why wasn't my garbage picked up?
- For those rare times that Allied Waste does not pick up a customer's garbage, the primary reasons are:
- It was not left at the curb by 7 am or our driver did not have access to your cans.
- The cans were too heavy, many times loaded with rock, dirt or concrete (carts must not exceed 200 lbs in weight). We usually send the driver back the same or next day after we receive your call.
- Cart contains unacceptable materials (e.g. hazardous materials, e-waste, etc.)
- Cart was blocked by cars or other obstructions.
Recycling Frequently Asked Questions
- What day will my recycling be collected?
- Recyclable materials are collected the same day as your trash. Set your blue bin out at the curb, across the driveway from your trashcans, if possible.
- What if my bin is stolen or broken?
- Call (208) 345-1265 to request another bin. Allied Waste will replace your bin up to once a year if it is damaged or broken.
- What if I have more recycling than will fit in my bin?
- Additional material may be sorted and set out in other containers, such as: other plastic bins, cardboard boxes, milk crates, or small kitchen trash cans labeled "recycling."
- Do I have to use paper bags?
- No, paper bags are not required. The blue bin is the signal for the driver to stop and collect your recycling. Additional materials can be placed in containers such as milk crates, tall kitchen garbage cans, or other permanent containers. Be sure to label them "Recycling" so the driver and neighbors know their purpose.
If possible, please do not use plastic bags for recycling. They are difficult to empty into the truck. Aluminum cans and plastic bottles tend to stick to the bags-especially during the summer months. However, if you only have plastic bags available our drivers will still collect your recyclables.
- What do I do if it is windy or rainy?
- If it's windy, throw a weight (like a rock) on top of your bin to keep the material from blowing. If it's rainy, Allied Waste will still pick-up wet materials.
- What do I do with my motor oil?
- Place your motor oil in a transparent one-gallon jug and set it NEXT TO YOUR TRASH CANS. Motor oil will not be accepted if it is mixed with other fluids such as: gasoline, antifreeze, etc. It needs to be in a transparent container so the driver can verify the contents.
- What do I do if my recycling is not picked-up?
- If your recycling bin was not picked-up you may have been missed. Please have your bin out by 7:00 a.m. on your collection day. If you have not been picked-up by the end of the day, call the Allied office to notify them. Your setout will be collected the next service day. If some of your material was taken, but not all, chances are there is something in your bin that was not acceptable. Look for a card indicating what the problem might have been.
- What is included in "mixed paper"?
- The following items are accepted as "mixed paper":
- Construction paper (w/o glitter/glue)
- Greeting cards (no foil)
- Office waste paper (any color)
- Computer paper
- Fax paper
- Junk mail
- Envelopes (cellophane windows okay)
- Paper bags
- Cereal & frozen food boxes (remove liners)
- Candy boxes (remove liners)
- Wrappings paper (no foil)
- Lined School Paper
The following items are NOT acceptable forms of mixed paper:
- Paper plates & cups
- Paper towels
- Milk or juice cartons
- Food-contaminated containers
For any additional questions please contact us.